Constipation is characterized by a difficulty in eliminating stools or the absence of elimination. ...
“To restore your system, eat grated or steamed apples, biscuits with no sugar substitutes, and creamy oatmeal or potato soup.” A.Vogel
Aside from traveller’s diarrhea, gastroenteritis and irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea can be caused by several other factors:
- Lactose intolerance
- Medication, such as antibiotics
- Sugar substitutes (ex.: sorbitol, mannitol)
- Over-consumption of alcohol
- Over-use of laxatives
- Dairy products
- Foods high in fibre
- Fried food and pastries
- Spicy food
- Sweets and candies
- Raw fruits and vegetables (with the exception of bananas)
What to do
- The most important thing is to drink a lot in order to replace lost fluids. Ideally, you should drink up to 2 litres of water, vegetable broth or rice water each day.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages.
- Eat lightly and increase quantities gradually: toast, white rice, crackers, light soup, banana, probiotic yogurt.
- Eat several small meals a day rather than 3 big meals.
- Wash your hands well and often, especially when preparing food, before meals and after going to the washroom in order to avoid spreading the infection (in the case of viral diarrhea).
Tormentil (Potentilla erecta) is one of the foremost anti-diarrhoeal herbs which we have in Phytotherapy. As well as this, the leaves of the blackberry, raspberry (which are related botanically) and blueberry have similar properties in reducing the secretions of the digestive tract and intestinal inflammation.
When to consult a doctor
- Abundant diarrhea (over 10 times a day) lasting more than 48 hours
- Signs of dehydration, especially in infants or elderly persons
- Fever of 38.5 ºC (101.5 ºF) or more
- Bloody stool
- Intense abdominal pain
What do you think?
Have you found what you read useful? If so, I would love if you would leave your comment below. Thanks Sonia Chartier
What is body pH?
All cells, organs and bodily fluids need a specific pH to function at their best. Read more
Digestion aid products
A.Vogel brings you gentle and effective herbal supplements for digestion and body cleanse
How healthy is your digestive system? Take the test to know more about it!
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE DIGESTION GUIDE NOW!
Improve your Digestion
Feel better, increase your energy and overall wellbeing!
20+ pages of recommended foods, healthy recipes, mind/body tips, easy exercises and herbal remedies to enhance your digestion now.