How to differentiate if it's a cold or flu
|Pathogen||Rhinovirus – over 100 different types
Incubation: 24 to 48 hours
|Single epidemic virus, differs from one year to the next
Incubation: 4 to 5 days
|Symptoms||Tickling in the throat
Clear and abundant nasal secretions
Loss of appetite
Thick nasal secretions (yellowish/green)
High fever (39–40) +
Aches and pains
Nausea and vomiting, often accompanied by diarrhea and stomach pain
Sudden onset of symptoms
|Complications||Sinusitis, ear infections
Risk of recurrence evolving to chronic rhinitis
|Ear infections, bronchitis, pneumonia|
Beat the bugs, naturally!
A.Vogel's Echinaforce Junior is the perfect remedy for all kinds of infections. Like other A.Vogel products derived from fresh, organic Echinacea purpurea, Echinaforce Junior is an immune system immunomodulator that has been proven to help fight off both viral and bacterial infections. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
Research clearly shows that Echinacea purpurea helps rid children of cold and flu symptoms faster and reduces the risk of recurrence. Taken preventively, it also increases the time between infections.
Ear infections, bronchitis and more
Children experience six to eight respiratory tract infections (RTIs) each year, and a high proportion of illnesses, around 30 percent, progress to complications such as sinusitis, otitis media, bronchitis or pneumonia.
The latter conditions often represent bacterial superinfections of originally viral illnesses. RTIs are therefore the leading reason for prescriptions of antibiotics, which further increase susceptibility to infections—it's a vicious cycle that's hard to break.
Cold remedies for children are highly regulated today, due mostly to lack of efficacy or safety issues.
While relief of initial symptoms may be desirable, effective recovery and the prevention of complications are equally important.
Clinical research shows that Echinaforce Junior is highly effective and safe for long-term prevention for children ages 2+. Immune resistance is noticeably improved, as manifested by a 65% reduction in the number of respiratory tract infections (like bronchitis), otitis media, pneumonia or tonsillitis. In addition, taking Echinaforce Junior is proven to reduce the number of antibiotic prescriptions required by an astounding 76%.
Other health tips for children
- When your kids are battling a cold or flu, here's how to put all the odds of a quicker, less painful recovery on their side:
- Teach them to wash their hands regularly and thoroughly
- It's important that they drink plenty of water, rather than juice
- Make sure your kids get sufficient rest when tired
- Let them decide when they feel hungry enough to eat
- Reduce their intake of mucus-boosting foods such as dairy products, oats, white flour and bananas
- Go easy on the refined sugar, as it can suppress and thereby reduce the effectiveness of the immune system
Echinaforce® Junior tablets for children:
- Child-friendly Echinacea formulation
- Antiviral and immune-modulating action
- Safe and effective for the prevention and treatment of RTIs
- Effective in preventing RTI complications and reducing the need for antibiotics
- Effective in the treatment of acute symptoms if they nonetheless occur
- Can be taken with conventional medications such as antibiotics and children's acetaminophen
Tips for kids
Get a FREE colour chart with practical tips for the prevention of colds and flu in children.
Click below to download the infographic (PDF) and look at what you can do to avoid the flu!
Aitken M, Taylor JA. Prevalence of Clinical Sinusitis in Young Children Followed Up by Primary Care Pediatricians. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998;152:244-248.
Schindler C, Krappweis J, Morgenstern I, Kirch W. Prescriptions of systemic antibiotics for children in Germany aged between 0 and 6 years. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 200312(2):113-20.
Thackray LB, Handley SA, Gorman MJ, et al. Oral antibiotic treatment of mice exacerbates the disease severity of multiple flavivirus infections. Cell 2018;22(13):3440-3453.
Jawad M, Schoop R, Suter A, Klein P, Eccles R. Safety and Efficacy Profile of Echinacea purpurea to Prevent Common Cold Episodes: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012 doi:10.1155/2012/841315.
Ogal M, Klein P, Schoop R. Echinacea for the Prevention of Respiratory Tract Infections in Children 4 - 12 years: A Randomized, Blind and Controlled Study. Sociéte Suisse de Pédiatrie (SSP, Poster), 24th May, Lausanne, Switzerland.
Arroll B. Antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infections: an overview of Cochrane reviews. Respiratory Medicine 2005;99:255-261.