Since the dawn of time, flowers have evoked new beginnings, grace, harmony, sensuality, joy and so many other qualities that foster our wellbeing. Perfuming ourselves naturally with floral body products to celebrate Mother Nature's abundance can help harmonize our energy and senses and bring inner peace.
Floral body oil
Here's a simple recipe for an aromatic floral body oil whose intoxicating scents will enchant you. Made to pamper the senses, this oil also has skin-nourishing properties and can make the skin more toned, smooth and glowing.
- 70 ml sweet almond oil
- 24 ml avocado oil
- 15 drops geranium essential oil
- 3 drops ylang ylang essential oil
Using a spatula, stir the mixture well in a bowl and then, using a sanitized funnel, pour the mixture into a 100 ml container suitable for liquid moisturizers (ideally brown glass or non-toxic PETE plastic).
- The sweet almond oil in this recipe is known for its emollient, soothing and skin-protecting properties, which help to prevent dryness, irritation and chapping.
- The avocado oil also in the recipe is even more nourishing: it bathes the skin in vitamins and prevents peeling, while revitalizing and deeply moisturizing it. The result: skin that's radiant and restored.
- Geranium essential oil brings a lot of freshness and sunshine to this body oil. Its fruity and floral fragrance is akin to that of roses, yet brighter and sharper. This essential oil is a friend of your skin and will leave it pleasantly perfumed.
- Ylang ylang essential oil adds a soft, sensual and calming touch. Its exotic fragrance relaxes the body and senses, while toning the skin.
Moisturizing floral body emulsion
A body emulsion has a light, more aqueous texture; it moisturizes the skin without too much oiliness.
For a 100 ml pump-and-pour container (brown glass or non-toxic PETE plastic):
Gather all the necessary tools to prepare your emulsion. You will need:
- 2 small stainless steel pots with handles: one for the oil phase, another for the water phase
- 2 spatulas: one for each pot
- 1 container for the dry ingredients
- 2 containers for the liquid ingredients
- 1 high-precision scale for weighing the ingredients
- 1 funnel
- isopropyl alcohol : for disinfecting equipment
- paper towels
- 1 larger stainless steel bowl for the final preparation
- 1 hand blender
- 2 thermometers for cosmetic preparations
- 20 ml sweet almond oil : emollient, protective, suitable for sensitive and reactive skin.
- 5 g of plant-based emulsifying wax: allows the water and oil to form an emulsion, while also being an effective texturizing agent.
- 50 ml of aloe gel: moisturizing, healing, tightening, non-irritating, softening and soothing.
- 18 ml distilled water
- 5 ml vegetable glycerin
- 0.3 g potassium sorbate: natural preservative
- 0.2 ml grapefruit seed oil: natural preservative
End of formula:
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops marjoram essential oil
- 1 to 2 drops geranium essential oil (as you prefer)
- Disinfect the equipment with alcohol and paper towels
- Weigh all the ingredients with the scale and the appropriate containers, subtracting the weight of each empty container before weighing the ingredients (or use your scale's tare function if it has one).
- Heat the water phase and the oil phase separately in individual pots, each equipped with a thermometer, at close to the lowest possible heat setting. Stir the contents of each pot from time to time using separate spatulas. Add the potassium sorbate when the ingredients of the water phase are at just about the right temperature while stirring.
- When the temperature reaches around 45°C for the water phase and 60°C for the oil phase, transfer the ingredients in the larger bowl. Begin mixing with the hand blender, keeping it as steady as possible in the bowl to minimize air bubbles.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, add the grapefruit seed oil and essential oils.
- Stir with a spatula and pour the mixture into the container using the funnel. Let cool.
Store the product in a dry, cool and dark place. This emulsion will stay fresh for up to six months thanks to the natural preservatives it contains.
With its comforting and soothing scent, this emulsion will please the senses while moisturizing the skin. With its light, semi-fluid texture, it will nourish and protect the skin from external elements without too much oiliness—it's more like a light and pleasantly scented veil.
I hope you have a delightful olfactory experience as you enjoy your comforting and relaxing body treatments.
Maillard Aude. Le grand livre de l'aromathérapie et des soins de beauté naturels. Éditions J'ai Lu, 2016.
Baudoux, Dominique. Pour une cosmétique intelligente. Éditions Amyris, 2010.
Gérault, Guillaume; Sommerard, Jean-Charles; Béhar, Catherine; Mary, Ronald. Le guide de l'olfactothérapie. Éditions Albin Michel, 2011.
Vallières, Marie-Christine. Fabrication des products are beauté. Les Âmes Fleurs, 2011.