5 Ways To Reduce Heartburn
Learn simple and natural ways you can reduce digestive heartburn
Acid reflux occurs when the valve that separates the stomach from the esophagus functions poorly. As a result, the esophagus is irritated by the acidic gastric juices.
Research shows that a properly functioning digestive system is essential for optimal health, maintaining your energy and helping you focus on what’s most important to you.
Here are five simple ways to improve heartburn now:
1. Avoid big meals
Avoid big meals: the more food you load into your stomach, the greater the odds of gastric juices getting pushed into the esophagus.
2. Food Combinations
More of these
- Water – 1.5 litres a day
- Pears, pumpkin, bananas
- Potatoes, cabbage and cabbage juice Carrot or pear juice
- Fibre contained in whole-grain cereals (wheat, oat bran, etc.)
- Plain yogurt
A little less of these
- Fried and other fatty foods Chocolate
- Coffee, tea, soft drinks, milk Alcohol
- Tomatoes Pickles Spicy foods
3. Natural Herbal Remedies
Herbs can be healing for your digestive system. Some of the most helpful medicinal herbs are:
Artichoke wears the crown for highest natural fibre content of any vegetable and over most grains, which helps break down food and keep the digestive system moving. The bile-producing cynarin in artichoke also alleviates bloating and other digestive pain.
one of the most powerful herbs for liver detoxification and can relieve dyspepsia (indigestion) symptoms including upset stomach, nausea, feeling bloated, and burping.
Native tribes of South America have been using the leaves of boldo for hundreds of years both as a culinary spice and herbal medicine. Boldo is considered one of the best medicinal herbs for many digestive disorders such as bloating, heartburn, and poor absorption of nutrients in the stomach and intestines.
Dandelion leaf is one of the best herbal diuretics. It is also a very good source of carotenes and potassium. The whole herb is used for loss of appetite, dyspepsia, flatulence and feelings of fullness after meals.
Since it can be challenging to take the required amount of these herbs to get the medicinal effect, A.Vogel has developed a clinically proven herbal complex called Bold-O-Cynara which is made up of the powerful combination of artichoke, dandelion, milk thistle, and boldo.
4. It's bedtime!
- Don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime. This allows your stomach to empty and acid production to decrease.
- Don't lie down right after eating at any time of day.
- Elevate the head of your bed 6 inches with blocks. Gravity helps prevent reflux.
5. Breathing Exercises Could Help Relieve Mild Heartburn
People with milder heartburn problems might find some relief from deep breathing exercises, a small clinical trial suggests.
Belly breathing is easy to do and very relaxing. Try this basic exercise anytime you need to relax or relieve stress.
- Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position.
- Put one hand on your belly just below your ribs and the other hand on your chest.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, and let your belly push your hand out. Your chest should not move.
- Breathe out through pursed lips as if you were whistling. Feel the hand on your belly go in, and use it to push all the air out.
- Do this breathing 3 to 10 times. Take your time with each breath.
- Notice how you feel at the end of the exercise.
Finally, if you are travelling and eating foreign foods or simply enjoyed a rich meal and washed it down with some good wine, beer or spirits take two Bold-O-Cynara tablets before bed with a tall glass of water to ensure you feel good the next day. It’s a simple trick you’ll be glad you know!
What do you think?
Thanks for visiting us and be sure to share any comments or questions below. We’re here to help!