Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Papaya Chutney
- 250g floury potatoes, peeled and diced
- 25g buckwheat flour
- 2 small eggs
- 25g crème fraîche
- ½ tsp Herbamare® Original seasoning salt
- Olive oil for frying
- 400g smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 small papaya, approx. 250g
- 2-3 sprigs of coriander, with stalks
- 1 shallot, chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tsp raw cane sugar
Full of Goodness
- A good source of magnesium
- Packed with vitamins (B6, C & D)
- Rich in iron & antioxidants
Great for the nervous system, sweet potatoes are a good source of magnesium, which is known as the relaxation and anti-stress mineral, whilst the Omega-3 in salmon can also help with low mood, dry skin, and aching joints.
How to make Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Papaya Chutney
1. Steam the potatoes for 20 minutes until very soft. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
2. Add the buckwheat flour, whisk the remaining ingredients and mix everything together.
3. Leave to rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the chutney. Stone the papaya, peel, roughly chop and put into a bowl. Wash the coriander well, chop both the leaves and stalks. Add with the rest of the chutney ingredients, mix well with a fork and mash in the papaya. Although the sauce appears to be thin at the start it will thicken slightly after about 30 minutes.
5. Heat 2 to 3 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan. Put small portion size pieces of the potato dough in the hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon.
6. Fry on both sides over a medium heat until a crust is formed.
Serve with salad or roasted vegetables.
I hope you give this delicious recipe! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Irene is a passionate cook and talented baker who is known for her delicious cakes and her hearty soups, as well as healthy and wholesome recipes.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?