About 700 different plants contain useful essential oils and there are several different methods used to extract them. Most pure essential oils are extracted from plants through steam distillation. Freshly picked plants are suspended over boiling water and steam pulls the pure oil out of the plant. By concentrating the oils, you are literally separating the most powerful healing compounds of a plant into single oil.
The amazing benefits of essential oils are endless. Everyone is craving a new movement and it's to find natural alternatives. Knowledge is power my fellow naturalists and with a little bit of research, you can be your own master of creation of the world of essential oils. It has been known each and every essential oil contains compounds with unique healing.
Here are the 10 most popular recognized essentials and benefits:
- Clove: Antibacterial and antioxidant protection.
- Cypress: Helps to improve circulation and reduce varicose veins.
- Eucalyptus: Helps to improve respiratory issues like bronchitis, sinusitis and allergies.
- Frankincense: Helps to heals age spots.
- Grapefruit: Helps to support metabolism and cellulite reduction. Mix with carrier oil and rub on areas of cellulite.
- Lavender: Helps with relaxation and improves mood.
- Lemon: Great to use in homemade cleaning products as a natural antibacterial tool.
- Peppermint: Helps to boost energy, reduces headache and muscle pain relief.
- Rosemary: Helps to improve brain function and memory so it's great to use when working, reading or studying.
- Tea Tree Oil: a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and helps to reduce bad odors.
4 Ways You Can Use Essential Oils Every Day
Depending on the instructions of your diffuser, mix 2-8 drops of essential oil with water, either tap or distilled, into a diffuser. The diffuser breaks apart the oil into tiny molecules and disperses them through the air, creating the aroma of choice. Diffusing EOs in the morning is a great way to get your day started positively. For a great mood booster, you can mix bergamot with lemon and orange. Throughout the day, you can use rosemary with peppermint for concentration or orange with patchouli if you need some balance. In the evening, try relaxing with a mix of rosemary, lavender and clary sage.
Give a Seasonal Blends Mix a try:
- 4 drops lavender
- 2 drops peppermint
- 3 drops lemon
Winter Chase The Blues Away Blend:
- 2 drops bergamot
- 2 drops orange
- 2 drops eucalyptus
Summer Bugs Be Gone Blend:
- 2 drops peppermint
- 2 drops of lavender
- 2 drops citronella
- 2 drops lemongras
Fall Breeze Blend:
- 4 drops orange
- 2 drops cinnamon
- 2 drops clove
Clear your mind then inhale directly from an open bottle. You can use a handkerchief, carry it in your pocket, and inhale as needed. I love mint and spearmint as a pick-me-up feeling or to get rid of any fowl smells in the air.
The more common places to apply oils are at the bottom of your feet, chest, temples and your pressure points. In massage therapy practice, I experienced working with different EOs to create a symphony of sensations. I learnt that just one simple drop of wonders, and a bit of curiosity, can make a pleasant aroma. Different oils can be blended together to enhance each's energy or can be blended with a base oil to be used for massage, shower gels or body lotions.
Most Popular Oils Selections for topical application
- Bergamot: helps to promote inner peace.
- Eucalyptus: may offer soothing effects and relieve during the cold and flu seasons.
- Grapefruit: may balance mood swings.
- Lavender: soothing and vital calming effects.
- Lemon oil: great scent for focusing.
- Orange: may offer a comfortable and a natural feeling.
- Peppermint: especially helpful in alleviating a tension headache.
Diluting ratios of essential oils can vary, depending on the health conditions and sensitivity of a person. General rule of thumb is; adding 1-4 drops of essential oil per 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Remember do not apply essential oils directly on skin as irritations can vary. Always use with caution. If you have allergies or a family history of allergies or if you think you may be allergic to oil, do a patch test first.
Choosing your Carrier Oil
Pairing your essential oil with the right carrier oil can be extremely beneficial in realizing the full benefits you would like to achieve. Most commonly used base oils are grape seed oil for its deep moisturizing properties, sweet almond oil for its Vitamin E and hypoallergenic properties, and avocado oil, which contains Vitamins A, D and E, alongside its anti-inflammatory properties.
Add 2-5 drops of Eos* in 15 mL of carrier oil to bath water or mix with Epsom salts or complete unique combination of Aromaforce bath salts.
For an ultimate lavish experience, try one of the 3 Aromaforce bath bombs, exploding with essential oils and tons of fizzy fun.
*Avoid using cinnamon, wintergreen and oregano as they might irritate skin.
Certain oils are not recommended or should be used with caution. Read each oil's safety data before use. People with health conditions should take caution.
And Most of all, Enjoy the Melodies of Essential Oils.